Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Week 03: January 16-22, 2017

Monday:
     AM: Pull-up pyramid- 1,2,3,4,5,6,5,4,3,2,1. Glad to get back into the upper-body stuff. A sore shoulder put a damper on things last week. Also did 7,000 meters in 30 minutes on the rowing machine.
     PM: 9.8 miles, 662', 7:24 pace. Listened to a new history podcast I found, The Fall of the Roman Empire, by Patrick Wyman. I was once a prospective history major in my freshman year at UNH but decided that kind of degree wasn't worth going into dept for. So now I'm a mechanical engineer and history is something of a hobby.

Tuesday: Zero. Ugly stomach bug, fever.

Wednesday: Zero. Still sick, flattered myself on the morning weigh-in, though.

Thursday: 
     AM: Pull-up pyramid- 1,2,3,4,5,6,5,4,3,2,1. My form starts to deteriorate halfway through this workout. Ideally, my chest bumps on the hang board each rep, like Bobby Maximus. Will need to do the whole thing with consistent quality before thinking about adding reps.
     PM: 8.8 miles, 556', 7:25 pace. Slushy Manchester sidewalks. I wanted to do a workout but thought it best to run easy on my first day back from an illness.

Friday:
     AM: 10 miles, 591', 7:39 pace. My first early morning run in a while.
     PM: 8.7 miles, 560', 6:37 pace. Started this one out intending to do 2 x 3 miles at tempo effort, but felt really tired within the first mile, maybe lingering effects of being sick earlier in the week and maybe also some fatigue from the morning run, without a lot to eat in between. In any case, I salvaged the workout by pulling back the pace a little bit, exchanging my planned cruise interval workout for more of a continuous tempo.

Saturday:
     AM: 17 miles, 1003', 7:59 pace. Candia roads, pre-dawn.
     PM: Pull-up pyramid- 1,2,3,4,5,6,5,4,3,2,1

Sunday: 12 miles, 702', 7:28 pace. Candia roads, pre-dawn.

Total: 66.4 miles, 4062', 8h 18m.

I did a decent job of salvaging the week, with two off days, totals were very similar to last week in mileage, elevation gained, and time spent running. I haven't done any mountain or trail running in months and I don't really have any on the radar until spring. A lot of this is stemming from the enormity of my family room remodeling project which, due to scope-creep and a severe underestimation of the timeline, has hogged all my weekends. If I want to run, it has to be in the early morning or on my lunch break. A possible side affect is that I may be a bit better prepared for my marathon in Hyannis, since my training is more specific to road running. Running mountains may make you strong, but I don't think it makes you fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment