Wednesday, July 5, 2017

June 26 - July 2, 2017 - UTMA Grande Traverse DNF

Monday: 4.9 miles, 1648', 14:53 pace. Early morning run up Mont St-Anne above Perce, Quebec. I left right from our campground, kept the effort level easy, stopped for lots of gawking and picture breaks, and was rewarded with a spectacular view.



Tuesday: 6.0 miles, 1398', 9:46 pace. Ran up Mont St-Alban from our campsite in Forillon National Park. A bit of an up tempo effort, but it felt easy and I wanted to stretch my legs on some runnable climbs and descents. More excellent views.


Wednesday: Zero. Raining, slept in. Did a short hike to a waterfall with the family.


Thursday: Zero. Hiked Mont Jaques-Cartier with the family and ended up carrying my 4 year old on my back. We kept an eye out for caribou but didn't see any.




Friday: 60 miles, 16000'. Ultra Trail du Mont Albert Grande Traverse - DNF.

I'm still digesting this one, as DNF's are always hard and the decision to drop leads to lots of second guessing. The course itself was excellent and I enjoyed some time running jointly with Jean-Francois Cauchon, who went on to win the race. Unfortunately, I started having trouble urinating around mile 30, and by mile 60 I was concerned for my health and also unable to fathom another 40 miles. Maybe my health truly was at risk, or maybe I just don't have the drive to keep pushing through pain and danger that I once did. In any case, I think I'm done with hundred mile races for the foreseeable future.



Saturday: Zero.

Sunday:  Zero.

Totals: 67.9 miles, 18842', 20+ hours. What can I say? I put a whole lot of resources into something that I failed at. I'm trying to reflect positively on the rest of the trip and the time I got to spend with my family. It's selfish to sulk and feel sorry for myself.

1 comment:

  1. I can only imagine the shit that can potentially go wrong when a human tries to run 100 miles so I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. Looks like a great trip to Canada otherwise!

    ReplyDelete